Total Pageviews

Friday, August 6, 2010

Time To Say Goodbye To Transbay Terminal

As many of you know, today is the last day of operation of the Transbay Terminal, one of the traffic hubs of San Francisco and an important historical landmark of transportation. In less then an hour, this 71-year-old transit hub will be permanently closed and finishing the historical mission. After midnight tonight, the terminal will be temporarily relocated to the open-air style Temporary Terminal on Howard and Main streets in San Francisco, the old Transbay Terminal will be demolished and will be replaced a new multi-modal transportation center which will have 11 transit systems in it. The new Transbay Transit Center is scheduled to open in 2017.

I came to the City for only about nine years, so I can't tell you too much of my emotion on the closing of Transbay Terminal. But one thing I can certainly tell you is that transit hub is dirty with overwhelming stench and lots of beggars, moreover, I think there is not enough maintenance and management on the Terminal. That's why I think the Terminal is so ugly. Honestly, I've only been to there for several times since I moved to the City.

Yesterday I went to the Transbay Terminal again for the last time before it is closed, I took a look on that old transit hub for one last time, I also took a lot pictures and videos from outside the Terminal to the inside. That will be a memory of mine and many San Franciscans, and we can only remember it with the pictures. The trip to the Transbay Terminal yesterday afternoon just liked to witness the end of an era.

Goodbye, Transbay Terminal. We'll be seeing a new Transbay Transit Center on the same place in 2017 and we'll be the witnesses again of that new transit hub.

Here are some of the pictures I took in the Transbay Terminal yesterday afternoon, you can click here to view all them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment