Total Pageviews

Friday, December 31, 2010

My "2010 Year In Review" Part 5


So, let me continue my "2010 Year In Review" on this New Year's Eve 2010 with my experience acquiring internship this fall.

During the summer, I have already planned to work in a TV station or video production house as an intern, I was thinking that would be a great enhancement to my future career goals. But when it comes to my search for internship, I can say it didn't go very well at first. About one week before the new semester began, I started sending out cover letters and resumes to my CCSF's TV station EATV, as well as some other internship sites. However, at the moment, I really wanted to focus an internship for EATV rather than an off-campus internship, so I didn't send resumes and cover letters to those internship sites. One week later, EATV Program Director, who is also an instructor for video production, (and I used to have his class, too.) contacted me to see if I had time to be interview in the following week, then I set up an interview appointment with him in the afternoon on August 26.

At that time, I was thinking that I could get that internship easily because I have many required experience and skills, on the other hand, I was also thinking that I may not quite ready for working off-campus. However, what you want doesn't equal to what you get. When I came to the interview that day, I felt so tense and I forgot anything that I wanted to tell Arthur, when Arthur asked me the questions, I couldn't even answered them clearly because I was so nervous. Arthur then told me that his station could only accept two interns at that time and each of them could only work for few hours a week. He said because of the short budget, he couldn't offer many hours to his interns. At the end of the interview, Arthur suggested me to gain real experience by working in the video production sites or TV stations, he told me that I should go out and explore the world by interning in TV stations rather than in my college. Then he showed me some listings of TV stations that were accepting interns. He told me to send resumes and cover letters to different TV stations, and I still remember what he told me when I left. He said the real meaning of internship is not about the money, but it is about the experience that can lead to the future job, $9 a hour looks good for some, but we have to think of long-term goal, the long-term goal is to find a real job.

After that night, I started thinking what Arthur said may be true, I have to have real working experience, and the best way to get those experience is to work in a TV station. Therefore, I began to send out resumes and cover letters to many Bay Area's TV stations, some organizations and companies, as well as some video production firms. Some of them responded me and asked if I could go for interviews, but many of them didn't get back to me at all.

But the things began to change. On September 9, Cassandra from the KPIX / CBS 5 TV station sent me an email if I was interested to come for an interview for the "Eye On The Bay" internship, then I set up an appointment with her on September 14 at 10:30 am, which was yesterday.

I came to the KPIX / CBS5 TV station around 10:30 am. Besides myself, two other new interns Rachel (I haven't seen her since then, and eventually she was not the intern during semester) and Honeybee (what a lovely name!) were also interviewed at the same time. The interview was going really good, I think it's more like a discussion rather than a formal interview. Cassandra, the producer (also the intern supervisor) who conducted the interview for all three of us, asked us to sit together and shared something about ourselves, what do we want to do as an intern, and what kind of skills we want to acquire on the completion of the internship. Then Cassandra told us that she was also started as an intern, and she also told us something important that we have to know and understand them. We also asked some questions about the program and specifically what the general duties are, and Cassandra answered them very clearly and understandable. After about half-an-hour of interview, Cassandra took all three of us for a tour around the station. First we toured the intern working area, and we met so many great producers and editors and other great people for "Eye On The Bay", and of course, one the hosts Liam Mayclem. (Liam is also one of the program producers) Then Cassandra took us to other departments in the station like the News Department, the Sales Department, the Business Department, just to name a few. Cassandra then brought us to Don's office, he is person who makes identification card for the interns. He asked each of us to sit down and took a "passport-style" picture, then we got our IDs few minutes later.

After we got our intern ID cards, we officially became the interns for "Eye On The Bay", and we started our jobs one week later. So how was my first day of internship going? I'll continue to post my story this afternoon (or early evening) with my "2010 Year In Review" Part 6!

No comments:

Post a Comment